“It was the perfect environment for both of my children, even though they are very different. My oldest looks forward to days when his kindergarten is out, but Larks is open, because he can’t wait to spend a day with them again. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a creative, play-based, and thoughtful preschool.”
Is Larks Right for Your Child?
Choosing the right preschool is a very personal decision. We recommend that during the decision making process, you review Larks philosophy to ensure that it coincides with your family’s goals and expectations.
Larks Preschool Highlights
- Enrollment Ages (2 ½ – 5 yrs)
- Maximum class size – 20 children
- Small teacher ratios (less than 7:1)
- Drop in flexibility – schedule an extra day(s)
- Enrichment program (available daily on an as-needed basis)
- Top 5 – Colorado Parent Magazine 2013 & 2015
- DPP CLASSTM rating – 5 out of 5 stars
- Qualistar rating – 4 out of 4 stars
- Multi-age classroom
- Reggio-Emilia inspired program
- Emphasis on language skills and social development
- Focus on early childhood literacy
- Member – Early Childhood Education Association of Colorado
- Family-run neighborhood school
- Passionate about children and early childhood education
- Ten years in Washington Park
Larks play-based philosophy stems from our own beliefs about early childhood education and is inspired by Reggio-Emilia based principles. While playing, children learn about themselves and their world. As a Reggio-inspired program, we also emphasize documentation, communication and “setting the child up for success.” At Larks, the child is viewed as strong and capable and we create an environment that supports this belief by gently leading the child to explore the classroom freely and discover within themselves their own strengths and abilities. Teacher-guided and child-led, Larks is a vibrant and lively alternative to traditional childcare programs.
Larks Preschool goes one step more: by celebrating the uniqueness of each child and their individual learning style, we create a community where respect for each other, and mutual responsibility further supports a sense of connectedness with the world around us. We have built a home here at Larks Preschool. This is the safe, supportive environment where children, families and teachers thrive! At Larks, we view ourselves as partners and collaborators with parents in an effort to foster individual competencies for the child’s future success.
We believe success in school and success in life are interrelated and teaching provides the opportunity to help a child reach their full potential, to the benefit of their future academic and social competence.
To ensure all pre-kindergarten students are well prepared, we collaborate with parents to ensure individual and familial goals are met. We understand many of the difficulties associated with phonemic awareness, letter recognition, phonics, and other basic reading skills associated with early childhood development. We direct teach crucial components of early math competency (such as counting, addition, and subtraction) through puzzles, block play, and a variety of hands-on activities. We believe that children must participate in choices that foster their direction of learning. Here, successful growth occurs through multiple tactile learning experiences that address the needs of all learning styles. It’s so rewarding to see their self-esteem grow as their skills and abilities expand.
Improving ECE Instruction
Larks Preschool actively participates in research studies, conferences, and continuing education programs including:
- C.L.A.S.S. Pilot Program (A program initiated by the Denver Preschool Program (DPP) to improve teacher/student interactions)
- Metro State University Study: How Reggio-Emilia Programs Affect Mother/Child Communication
- University of Denver, Marsico Institute of Early Learning and Literacy: Infant/Toddler Study
- DPP and Early Childhood Education Association of Colorado conferences and continuing education programs